Entertainment,Political And Lifestyle News Website. We Provide You With The Latest Breaking News, Gossip And Videos Straight From The Industry.

Total Pageviews

PropellerAds

I quit crime when my friend was shot dead by cops –rapper



Victor Ndolo, a former street boy has made a name in the music industry but it was never rosy. He tells of the nights he slept on an empty stomach and how his granny brought him up.
At the tender age of seven years you were already living in the streets of Nairobi, how did you end up there?
I was born and partly raised in Soweto slums in Kahawa West. I was brought up my grandmother, who I always thought was my mother. I learnt she wasn’t when I turned 18. Life in Soweto was tough.
On many occasions, we slept hungry and I skipped school due to lack of school fees. Growing up with my grandmother, who was too old gave me a leeway to do anything that I wanted. My mother abandoned me when I was young and she got married to another man.
What exactly do you mean?
She was exactly strict. I used to skive home and go the streets to beg. I had made friends in the streets. Eventually, I escaped from home and went to live in the streets. Surviving in the streets wasn’t easy, I had to find tactics of survival. We used to move across towns begging. We used to hang on trucks ferrying goods from Nairobi to Nakuru and Kisumu.
Then, we could request the driver to allow us offload the goods for a small fee. That is how we survived. Now, the problem was finding a vehicle to take us back to Nairobi. We could stay there for months.
You became a drug addict...
Yes. Honestly, you can’t live in the streets and be sober. I started with glue, before graduating to hard drugs like cocaine and bhang. I became an addict. I couldn’t survive without a shot of heroin and several injections. Life was hard and the drugs made me forget about my problems.
Your family tried several times to get you off the streets, but you still went back. Why?
There was safety here. I had made many friends and anyway, I had somehow gotten used. It was no big deal.
Victor Ndolo [Photo: Courtesy]
But after eight years, they tracked you down and took you home. How did this happen?
Yes, It was a hide and seek game, I used to move to different towns. Whenever I got wind they had come looking for me, I used to pack my things and move to the next town. I moved to Nakuru. By now, I was a petty thief and I used to snatch peoples’ handbags and phones.
One day, my friend and I robbed a mzungu, but unfortunately, my friend was shot dead by cops. After the incident, it dawned upon me that my days were numbered.
I remember one day while strolling in the streets, I bumped into my uncle. He got hold of me and took me straight to our shags in Siaya.
How was life there?
Tough. I was under my uncle’s strict rules. He used to work in the army and was a no-nonsense guy. He took me back to school. But I had not quit alcohol or drugs. I was once suspended and my uncle gave me a serious beating.
 You later met your mother...
Yes. When I was in Form Two. She apologised and we became friends. While in school, my CRE teacher used to encourage me. He became my mentor and pastor. I shared a lot with him and thanks to him, I changed my ways. I became a different person.
How did you venture into music?
After finishing high school, my mum took me to Dandora where she was living. I had a passion in music but I never thought that it could be a career.
While in Dandora, I used to attend music concerts as well as other programmes for artistes. During that period, I met musician Juliani, who was living Dandora. He noticed my talent and volunteered to nurture it. He gave me the wings and I am forever grateful.
You now have a studio?
Yes, it’s called Royal Music Entertainment. We started it with a pal ...we share a lot in common. So far, the studio is fully equipped and we have worked with several musicians.
Your latest song ‘Napoteza Memory’ has become a hit. What is it all about?
It’s just a song like any other. I highlighted how youth fall in love and end up being wasted.
Are you related to Khaligraph Jones?
No! I get that a lot. He’s my brother in the music industry. We meet in the studio and other events, but we are not biologically related.
PropellerAds
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-101756261-1', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview');